Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Restaurant Autographs (written March 2016)

During a good chunk of the 80’s and onward for eighteen years I was a line cook in an open kitchen at a trendy California-Italian restaurant in Minneapolis. Over the years we fed many local and national celebrities and power people. Management did not forbid us from collecting autographs but cautioned us about when it was acceptable and when it was definitely not. You did not bother Janet Jackson when she came in repeatedly during her recording period at Flyte Tyme Studios while she was making Rhythm Nation. (FYI, she loved our wings and artichoke hearts) No one bothered Sinead eating at a sidewalk table, not fooling us in her wig. It was okay to acknowledge Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner with a head nod but you left them alone out of respect and awe.
Some celebrities walked in the door with a happy expectation that they would encounter fan interaction. Joan Jett and entourage sat right in front of the line and joked with the cooks; I cherish that autograph “Keep on rockin’ Joan Jett”. Malcolm McDowell’s party also sat near the line. He was thrilled when the line almost immediately joined in voice for a few lines of “Singing In The Rain”, saying he wasn’t sure if people would recognize him anymore. Many members of the Minnesota Twins line-up were in during the World Series, both 1987 and 1991, but it was always crazy busy during those times. I did have an opportunity to get Kirby Puckett’s autograph for my son on a later date when he was dining with our owners over an ad campaign discussion. He wrote to my 6 year old son “Stay in School, Be Cool, Kirby Puckett”. RIP Kirby. Minnesotan Gretchen Carlson came in soon after her Miss America reign and I asked and received her autograph. You may know her as a national news anchor.
When Elvis Costello came in repeatedly for about a week, he adopted an interesting practice. He was in town discussing a possible music collaboration with some local musicians and they would all meet at the restaurant in the afternoon. After the first day Elvis would just have the waitron bring a stack of the restaurant’s signature coasters and he would autograph each one, ensuring everyone that sought his autograph, whether it be customer or worker, could have one.
Sometimes you stepped outside the lines; sometimes you listen to the beat of a different accordion. Fred Willard and a half dozen others came in for lunch one day and I took a leap. Having ascertained from the waitron that the sandwich I was making was definitely for Mr. Willard, himself, I manufactured a special presentation. I wrote in beautiful script a special message for Mr. Willard, ran a frill pick through the paper and stuck in the top of his sandwich. The message read “Laced with arsenic for your dining pleasure”. When he was served I saw him read it, laugh, and later the waitron gave me a little note thanking me for the physical evidence his lawyer would need in case of a lawsuit and an autograph from Mr. Willard.
Of course there are the autographs I should have gotten, also. Tony Papenfuss was actually friends with some of the staff, I should have got his autograph. You may know him as First Darryl from Newhart, the tv series. I should have gotten Patrick Stewart’s autograph. I deeply regret not asking Chris Farley; I even walked by his table after I punched out to gauge whether I should bother him or not. He was having a great time with his group and I decided I should leave him alone. He was dead within the year.

Whose autograph do I cherish the most? Cloris Leachman. She was in town playing Grandma Moses and had been making a habit of coming to the restaurant each night after her performance. I finally dared to ask on what turned out to be her last visit. “To Berni, all my love, Cloris Leachman.”

No comments:

Post a Comment