Thursday, December 8, 2016

Saddest day of my life

January 24, 1995. I get to work at Figlio about 7:45, always early so I can get some coffee before starting, maybe slam out a crossword. My brother Sean (Sean is 23 and my sisters and I probably changed more of his diapers than mom, he was OUR first baby) the steward starts at 7 sharp and on this particular morning I am told by other staff that Sean hasn't shown up for work and they can't get an answer at his house. I know my brother Sean and know something serious has had to have happened. I call his house and eventually  his roommate, who sleeps in the basement, answers and says he'll get up and look. He looks into Sean's room and says only Mary, Sean's gf is sleeping in the bed. He tells me he will call me back. I start my shift very worried. His roommate calls back at 8:30 and says he looked in the garage  and found Sean's car and it had been smashed many times with a baseball bat, but no sign of Sean. He calls back soon again to tell me Sean has been found and he had fallen behind to the floor at his drum set after shooting himself with a rifle through the mouth, the police are on their way.  I go into a numbing shock and barely remember leaving and walking home, knowing I have to call everyone. This was probably the hardest thing I will probably ever have to tell my dad. He worried how mom was going to handle and got off the phone to find her at her hospital job. I called my sister in Cloquet, later she told me when she picked Sara up at school, Sara immediately thought her dad had died, he was older. When Meg got to Mpls she picked my son up after I had been in touch with them and Matt thought something had happend to me. I called Paul local who had just lost Sean as a roommate recently. Then Mark and family in Virginia state and Luke and family in Georgia. Jacque and family in North Carolina, her husband Abdul had just flew out for an army mission to Europe, as soon as he landed the Red Cross had him off one plane and onto another to meet Jacque and kids  at NYC airport to fly here. At the time I lived in a very compact one bedroom but because all calls to relatives had been called from there, it was ground zero. My fridge had just died and not replaced, my daycare lady had just lent me mini fridge, we had toddlers with milk bottles, etc. I took over most everything to allow mom and dad not to have to think too much. We made the funeral arrangements, a wake at Washburn McReavy uptown, Basilica because my aunt Jean was a member. The night before the wake some of our family and some of my Figlio friends go to Sean's to get all his stuff. A few days later Sean's girlfriend tells us many things are missing, that his roommates ripped his stuff off, we are too weary to deal with this and it doesn't bring Sean back anyway. A roommate hands me Sean's mail, a letter from the police saying Sean is guilty of hit and run. Call police, tell the what has happened, they tell me woman not hurt, it happened two blocks from job, Sean had been almost to work and then went home. Paper goes to my house as I will be executor, the rest to Paul's and we will sort later. At the wake we set up a cassette to play Tears by Rush off 2112, because it was appropriate and because it was Sean's favorite band. Sean was a gifted drummer and got 6th place at the Knut Koupee/Cabooze drum contest at the age of 18. Anyway, the cassette kept acting up and flipping to the other side, but eventually did what we wanted. When we got home from the wake, we siblings immediately checked out what song Sean had obviously wanted us to hear. Also, everytime the priest spoke about Sean at the wake, the lights behind him would flicker. I was the one that spoke for the family at the funeral, I read Death by Kahlil Gibran, my friend had given me the book at the wake. The priest had had a suicide in his family and he warned us in private counsel that after a couple days we would have a blowout with lots of finger pointing. Two days after the funeral my dad takes me to Lunds early morning. He says lets buy whatever. We spend over $300 on food, treats, yummies and everyone heads to my brother Paul's house. We eat and then the blowout. Abdul grabs the kids and they go to Minnehaha Falls a few blocks away. Abdul was a blessing, always dealing with the kids and the kids reminded us that we needed to eat. We survived the day and everyone seemed to reach a new, sad, calm, numb state. Exhausted. The next night we went to Curran's who gave us a private room and everyone left town the next day. I am granted one week more off from work, work is therapeutic because Sean's writing is everywhere as the steward. Everyone at work is a bit numb but very supportive. I am allowed to leave the line whenever I need to smoke and cry. I find what I need and call his bank, his car loan, cancel magazines, etc. I call the police to get rid of his rifles. I deal with a paralegal and transfer his account for a scholarship fund, which still gets awarded every year to someone in music or computers. I start sorting through Sean's stuff getting more and more sad. Repeated writings about suicide and death from various ages since he was little. This is a story Sean wrote when he was 5 yrs.old:

The Bird that Couldn't Sing

"Once there was a bird which never sang. He was so sad when he saw the other birds sing. He couldn't sing because his mom and dad and brothers and sisters thought if they taught him to sing, they thought he would ruin the singing."
"Then one day he decided to fly somewhere else to stay for awhile ..."

By Sean Sarazine   1976



No comments:

Post a Comment